Monday, December 6, 2010

Headlights,... & Edge ....





Crater Lake, Oregon Mazamas camp 3am

Up for bathroom pit stop & walked to end of road for view of the stars. 3am...
I do that. If you could see this you would too... Black western sky , night
vision opened up. Pitch Black Dark. A Billion stars & clear as you could wish. in 10 mins saw 2 shooting stars. Milky way-- can see w/ naked eye, no binocs-- ran from 40* to
220* azmuth. Just breathtaking... beyond description. & then the deer in the
headlights moment. Heard something rustle in the bushes 30 ft away. close.
too close. It paws ground & snorts. I can see my few friends cryi9ng at my
funeral & saying ... killed by a bear at Crater Lake; that sounds like him.
Then it shook... started coming closer. It's got the drop on me. No chance to outrun. about wet my pants here. ...& out of the bushes came some other campers dog that trotted away.


The stars were worth it. & I did make wishes on the shooting stars

I am sorry there are no pictures of the Western sky and stars... have tried time exposure & have not gotten a good pic yet.


























**********************

I've seen places that men and explorers have never returned from alive. I've stood in
mining camp shantys and viewed the rope marks of nooses on overhead beams, smelled the mustiness of the room where vigilantees hung robbers & claim jumpers. Hiked gullys where gold miners killed each other over a worthless claim.

Walked in streets where strike breakers killed union mine organizers. Waded in
rivers & drank water where ancestral native americans traversed thru canyons to
the plains to hunt buffalo. ... Hiked under the buffalo jumps / cliffs where
primitive hunters pecked petroglyphs into the mesa butte walls to celebrate the
kill. too many things to list here. Dad said I was born under a wanderin'
star. ...that I was a pioneer & not a settler.


I have been a risk taker. The things in my life I said no to ... are my
regrets. The things I said Yes to -- like this journey / odyssey have been the
things most rewarding.


Never stop searching; never settle into a rut. Ride it like you stole it,

The view from the edge suits me just fine.

*********************
Pics:
Obsidian lava flow

Three Sisters

Smith Rock

Stonehenge

Hells Canyon

Columbia River

Mt Hood